Reporting to the CFO, the Senior Accountant oversees the core responsibilities of the accounting systems, books and records of the companies, and ensures the accurate and timely preparation of all financial reports. The position is also responsible for maintaining all accounting records; designing, maintaining and testing internal controls; and reports for management. This position works closely with the Director, Financial Reporting & Treasury and the Senior Analyst, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A).
• Overseeing full cycle accounting for the businesses, including ensuring the month-end close process, account reconciliations, bank reconciliations, inter-company transactions and journal entries are performed accurately in a timely fashion, and that reconciling items are promptly investigated and adjusted;
• Reviewing sub-ledgers, reconciliations and journal entries and working papers, for accuracy and completeness, and ensuring that other journal entries are reviewed according to the company’s internal controls;
• Regularly maintaining the integrity of the Company’s accounting systems including the multi-currency general ledger, sub-ledgers and financial data extraction reports for all companies;
• Testing periodic updates / improvements to the ERP system and business intelligence tools to ensuring the accuracy of reporting;
• Working with the Senior Analyst, FP&A to prepare monthly internal business unit and consolidated financial statements for management and to prepare monthly cost centre reviews and variance analyses;
• Working with the Director, Financial Reporting & Treasury on quarterly close process and internal controls;
• Working with tax and financial statement auditors as necessary;
• Managing the Capital Acquisition Request process; ensuring fixed asset registers are maintained; and periodically updating useful life assumptions.
• University degree in business, finance or accounting;
• Accounting designation preferred;
• Minimum of 5+ years of senior accounting experience & financial functions;
• Public company experience considered an asset.
• Thorough knowledge of (1) accounting standards, principles and procedures and (2) internal controls, policies and related procedures;
• Strategic thinker and enabler with an inquisitive mind and healthy intellectual curiosity;
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, including ability to articulate recommendations in a concise and timely manner;
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build trust with team members;
• A confident, accomplished and respected team member who is able to communicate and interact in a highly professional manner with management and staff with internal and external stakeholders;
• Strong Excel skills and experience with ERP systems.
• Provide timely and accurate information to the company’s external auditors, tax consultants and other internal and external parties;
• Ensure that appropriate internal controls are developed, maintained and adhered to ;
• Make decisions that demonstrate common sense, intuition, sound business judgment, and a clear understanding of Company objectives and goals ;
• Requires a hands-on approach, with a high level of initiative and independence.
• Salary to be determined based on experience
• 8 – 12 month contract with possibility of extension
• Flexible work arrangement / days to be discussed