Our Swiss Water® Process starts with one philosophy: a passion for crafting amazing coffee. Starting with small batches, we remove caffeine in a gentle, 100% chemical free and organic process, so that whether it’s morning or night, you have the option of enjoying your favorite coffee without the caffeine. Because when you love coffee as much as we do, what you take out is just as important as what you leave in. Coffee that once decaffeinated, will still taste every bit as delicious as it did before we got our hands on it.
With a growing global brand (including customers such as Tim Hortons and Chick fil-A), Swiss Water Decaffeinated Coffee Inc is seeking to expand its global market awareness. Swiss Water is headquartered in Burnaby, Canada and takes advantage of the pristine local mountain water to create the finest Coffee Without Caffeine in the world.
Founded in 2002, publicly traded Swiss Water Decaffeinated Coffee Inc is expanding rapidly to meet fast rising demand and will be adding an additional production facility over the next year that will double capacity.
In 2016 and 2017, decaf coffee grew significantly more than regular coffee — more than twice as fast. Nationwide consumption of decaf has growth significantly — average cups/person/day has doubled. 68% of consumers say “it’s important to manage my caffeine intake”.
This growth is driven by younger consumers, age 18–24 who are the largest consumers of decaffeinated coffee. The biggest segment for growth: restaurants.
As the new generation of coffee drinkers gets to know decaf, they care that it 1) tastes as great as regular, and 2) is sustainable. Historically, much of the decaf in the market has been processed using methylene chloride, a chemical used in paint strippers, which is a significant part of why decaffeinated coffee has had a bad-tasting reputation.
Because of the movement in this segment, and the younger consumer base, there’s a big opportunity to grow decaffeinated coffee right where consumers are going — with QSR and fast-casual restaurant chains focused on high quality, sustainable, great-tasting coffee and beverage programs.
The company has a high performing culture that prizes passion, innovation and intelligence.
Swiss Water® is well positioned to tell its complex “ingredient brand” story to a wider audience. This role reports directly to the CEO and will serve as a key member of the company leadership team.
Director of Business Development – Foodservice is a pivotal role. We are ready to embark on our next phase of dynamic growth, and we need a leader who will strategize, develop, and ignite segment growth and brand presence of the Swiss Water® Process in the North American Foodservice national accounts/restaurant segment.
Because Swiss Water® Process is an ingredient brand; we must lead, engage & collaborate with our larger roaster partners to enable their sales teams to sell effectively, as well.
This leader will be an experienced business driver and a keen strategist, but also a scrappy, entrepreneurial mindset, a love of collaboration, and a major passion for coffee (both with caffeine and without), who is equipped with a comprehensive understanding of foodservice chain account sales in the coffee category, as well as experience in specialty coffee industry itself.
This leader will work in partnership with our Marketing and Trading leaders and teams, as well as with Swiss Water® direct customers to strategize, plan, and execute growth in our business in chain restaurants. This will be done by rallying large roaster partners to increase sales team engagement & training, and by using existing knowledge of restaurant chain accounts & contacts to develop a compelling sales proposition that helps category margins and creates direct selling relationships in the industry.
Grow share of Swiss Water® Process in Foodservice — secure key chain account business, and also grow awareness/interest in high quality, chemical-free decaffeinated coffee, and the Swiss Water® brand.
- Create top-to-top relationships and feet-on-the-street programs for Roaster sales and marketing teams to be more actively engaged with and educated about Swiss Water to actively sell into accounts
- Quickly establish opportunities & growth with key chain accounts to convert them to Swiss Water® Process decaf, and also convince them to actively promote sustainable, chemical-free, great-tasting coffee without caffeine.
Because we don’t sell directly to Foodservice, but through roaster partners, the Director of Business Development – Foodservice will find ways to:
- Educate and generate interest among primary foodservice accounts through direct contact, and by maintaining the current supply chain through major roaster partners.
- Influence and engage sales people among our roaster partners who supply foodservice — e.g. incentive programs, sales education, etc.
Foodservice Strategic Plan:
- Leverage & refine current strategic plans & market sizing to create a streamlined & focused plan for growth of this new channel.
- Create an actionable list of target accounts, including current suppliers (e.g. roasters), and estimated volumes
- “How to Win” — define a clear approach to close key account business and develop team based selling approach to and account teams to manage within budgets.
Sales & Marketing Plan
- Key Accounts:
- Target sales list, including buyer, current supplier, and estimated volumes
- A comprehensive and convincing presentation/toolkit that will generate interest with chain account buyers
- An engagement & education plan to more effectively educate roasters suppliers about Swiss Water Process & get them excited about selling us
- Marketing & Brand
- A prioritized list of promotional activities that will generate access to accounts and drive sales & brand opportunities
Execution of Plan
- Engage key large roaster partners (Farmer Brothers, Mother Parker’s, S&D, etc) across functions (Sales, Brand, Green Coffee Buying) to build out a collaborative selling plan, as well as to pitch & present to their teams to engage & build sales.
- Meetings & sales presentations to key chain account prospects to pitch Swiss Water® Process as their decaffeinated coffee program
- Deploy promotional activities
- Define, plan, and meet sales targets, guided by our 2019 strategic plan and market data.
- Active participation on cross functional teams
- Work closely with Sales Team – both Specialty and National Accounts
- Actively engaged in managing agencies and outside suppliers
- Establish relationships within and across the Specialty Coffee Industry
- Attend Specialty Coffee seminars, conferences, conventions and trade shows
- Passionate about the Coffee Industry
- Innovative and Creative
- Inclusive and Proactive leader
- Inspiring and open to new ideas
- Proactive communicator
- Data Driven with a bias toward action
- Self-directed with the ability to achieve results in a remote organization structure
- Excellent in planning and delivery of work consistent with corporate and department objectives
- Ability to manage change in a dynamic industry
- Excellent communication skills – written, oral, listening, comprehension for purposes of positively influencing
Minimum 5-10 years’ coffee industry experience
- 10-15 years’ Sales and/or Marketing experience in foodservice chain accounts
- Proven experience in national chain restaurant/QSR segment, with strong relationships & contacts within those accounts.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and sell successful premium coffee/beverage products to national accounts, with a proven track record of successful launches.
- Specialty coffee experience in a sales/marketing role, or in other roles, such as store operator, barista, roaster, or other capacity.
- Experience in developing a cohesive ground-up sales plan with team based selling approaches, including target lists, sales decks, and promotional plans
- Experience in creating & tracking sales forecasts, P&L management, and market analysis
- Experience building, managing, and motivating teams, both direct and indirect
- Excellence in planning and delivery of work consistent with corporate and department objectives
- Entrepreneurial mindset with a focus on segment growth
- Active in supporting and building consensus in a team environment
- Works well with others, communicates effectively, builds influence
- Excellent communication skills — written, oral, listening, comprehension for purposes of positively influencing
- College degree and/or relevant work experience
- Master’s degree in business, marketing, or other related field preferred.
LOCATION: Vancouver, BC with travel to Seattle WA and Industry Trade Events